|HOT PEPPER SAUCE- Barbadians spread hot pepper sauce on just about everything they eat. Most caribbean people are lovers of spicy food and hot pepper sauce makes everything even spicier. Beware !
- 4 ozs. eschalot
- ¾ lb. onion
- ½ oz. tumeric
- ½ oz. powdered mustard
- ½ oz. salt
- 20 bonnie peppers ( small hot variety)
- ¼ lb. horseradish (grated)
- 6 cloves garlic
- White vinegar
- Mix all ingredients together in blender or food processor.
Add vinegar until the desired consistency is obtained.
Place in bottles and leave for 3-4 days before using .
SALT FISH CAKES- the hors d'oeuvre that is served at almost every occasion - from street fairs to wedding receptions to cocktail parties.
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Salt to your taste
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
- 2 tbsp eschalots (finely chopped)
- ½ lb, salted cod fish, cooked and flaked
- 1 large fresh hot pepper ( finely chopped)
- In a heavy frying pan, heat the oil and saute the onions until they are just wilted.
Place flour, baking powder and salt in bowl.Make a well in center and pour egg, butter and milk. Mix together lightly, then add the onions, eschalot, salted cod fish, salt and pepper.
Stir well. Drop by tablespoon full into hot oil, but do not crowd them in the pan. Cook for abour 3-4 minutes until they are golden brown on both sides.
Remove from pan and drain on absorbent paper. Serve very hot.