|JUG-JUG- reputed to be a corruption of the scottish dish haggis with the corn flour substituted for the oatmeal.
- 8 cups green peas
- 1 cup corn flour
- 225 grams (½lb) salt beef or any other salted meat.
- 100 grams (¼lb.) fresh pork or chicken.
- 2 tablespoon margarine
- 2 medium sized onions (chopped)
- 3-4 blades eschalot
- 4-5 cups water
- 1 bunch mixed herbs ( thyme,marjoram, etc..finely chopped)
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Boil pork or chicken in water; add the peas and herbs. Cook the mixture until peas are soft.Strain off, saving the stock. Mince the meat, peas and seasoning.
Cook the corn flour in the stock for about 10 minutes-stirring constantly.
Add minced ingredients, stir and cook for about half hour stirring the mixture until it raaches a fairly stiff consistency. Cover and allow to steam for 5 minutes.
Before removing from the heat, stir in some of the margarine, then turn mixture out on a dish-spreading it smoothly with the rest of the margarine.
Serve hot with sliced ham and chicken.